Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Saturday--Arriving in Buenos Aires


Day Seventy Nine-March 12-El Calafate to Buenos Aires, Argentina
Didn’t have such a great night’s sleep at the hostel.  This hostel was not nearly as nice as the one in El Chalten.  Not the same friendly people nor the same nice clean room.  
I’d ordered a ride on the same shuttle back to the airport this morning.  I got picked up at 10:00 a.m. for my 12:15 flight.  The airport was only 15 -20 minutes away but it was a shuttle and they needed to pick up many people.
The airport was packed and a bit chaotic.  When it was my turn the ticket agent told me I had too many bags and my backpack was too full.  I had some rearranging to do and finally was told I could go.  The ticket agent was nice but told me it was an exception to allow me to take two items on the plane.  Of course when I got on the plane both bags fit very easily in the overhead and under the seat in front of me.
The flight was fine until we approached the airport in Buenos Aires.  There was bad weather and we had to circle the airport a few times.  We landed just 15 minutes late so it wasn’t too bad.  
I sat next to a nice couple from Australia who were traveling for 3 months also but were only a few weeks into their journey.
I had a horrible arrival into Buenos Aires but thank goodness for Allison Heimberg.  I know my arrangements were last minute and I got a cheap apartment but NO internet and the condition of the apartment is well below standard.   Mold on the ceiling in the bathroom.
When I arrived at the apartment no one was here to meet me.  While I was talking to Allison a nice young couple came to the door.  I asked Allison to speak to them but it turns out they speak perfect English.  They are both doctors.  They were extremely helpful and allowed me to leave my things in their apartment while I went to Allison’s apartment.  Alfredo made a little map for me so I would know how to get to Allison’s apartment but I ended up getting a taxi.
Allison was concerned about my leaving the things with these people but when I got to her apartment and told her they were doctors she was o.k.  I couldn’t tell her that when I was on the phone because they were standing there.
Anyway, Allison phoned the apartment company and told them I had arrived and no one was there to meet me.  Within 15 minutes they called her back and said someone was on their way to meet me.
I was back in a cab and on the way back to the apartment.  I couldn’t believe it when the girl told me there was no internet.  Then she called someone who would rent me a modem for the week for 200 pesos.
Gabriel came and spent 45 minutes trying to get the modem to work on my MAC but it wouldn’t.  He felt bad and I felt bad.  The one good thing to come out of it was he took me to the restaurant where I was to meet Allison for dinner.
The good and the bad.  The apartment has cable tv, which is what I must have read and thought it must mean they had internet.  I can do nothing until Monday to try and change the apartment.
The location is great.





No comments:

Post a Comment