Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sunday-Travel Day-Ein Gedi to Haifa via Jerusalem Sunday--January 9--Travel Day Another travel day--Ein Gedi to Haifa via Jerusalem.

Sunday--January 9--Travel Day
Another travel day--Ein Gedi to Haifa via Jerusalem.

view from the kibbutz into the Wadi
I had breakfast and had a little time to walk around the kibbutz before leaving.  I walked to the kibbutz market out of curiosity but when I got there it was closed.  However, I was able to look inside and it was rather large.  I was surprised.  I also saw a wonderful mobile made from old CD's hanging on a tree outside someone's house.  Great idea. 

The bus came directly to the hotel which was a nice switch.  
About 15 minutes into the ride the bus stopped in the road because there were road workers.  I have no idea what was going on, but we were stopped for about 10 minutes.  

The road workers were putting out cones and traffic was held up on both sides.  Once we started going again i saw a much bigger back up on the other side but still no reason as to why they were putting the cones up.  
It didn’t take long to get to Jerusalem.  I watched the Dead Sea out the window for most of the journey and then it ended and we descended into bleak desert.  

I think those are settlement houses on the hill

Shanty type towns started to appear and then I saw what I believe to be some of the “jewish settlements” up on the hill.  I’m not sure.  There was a check point the bus went through but we didn’t have to stop.












outside of Jerusalem, these are not settlements

Once I arrived at the Jerusalem Central Bus Station, I needed to change buses to Haifa.  The bus station was buzzing with activity.  Restaurants, stores, even a Body Shop.  

I needed to use the restroom.  This is one of those times when I really wish I had someone who could have filmed me.  I had to go through one of those round abouts with poles, not just an open space and you should have seen me dragging the suitcase and backpack through this narrow opening.  It was a sight to see.  Actually getting out was more difficult than getting in but I was able to manage.  Where there’s a will there’s a way.
I then made my way to the 3rd floor where the departing platforms are and found #17 for the 1:40 direct bus to Haifa Ha Carmel.

There were people waiting in the area so I took a place in what I thought was a line.  After a few minutes people started to push their way past me.  I couldn’t move so easily because there was a backpack on the ground in my way.  After 5 or more people pushed past me, I asked the soldier standing there if the backpack was his and could he move it.  Now I could get through, move closer to the door and get out of the way, so I thought.  I’m standing in front of the door waiting for the bus and more people push past me to go outside.  O.k. I don't get it. There is no, “excuse me”, just movement.
I don’t know if it’s me and my “American” mentality to want a little courtesy but people here do not seem to think it is necessary to show courtesy.  A cultural thing I'm sure.
I am beginning to understand the reason why people want the 5 star route.  I can’t really afford to travel that way and last for 3 months but I certainly see and understand why people do spend the money to have drivers.  
The bus finally comes, I go outside put two of my bags underneath and get on.  I choose an aisle seat maybe 3 or 4 rows from the front and sit down.  Many people get on and of all the places to choose this (rather large) lady wants the window seat next to me.  Lesson, move further back on the bus.  I look down the bus and sure enough I am the only one with someone sitting next to me.
I decide to read my book on my kindle for the 2 hour ride to Haifa.  I arrived at Hof Carmel, found a taxi and arrived at 83 Derach Hayam at 4:00 p.m.
Nuri, the owner, was awaiting my arrival because I phoned him when I was at the bus station.
Up a few flights of stairs to the apartment.
There is one actual bedroom with a single bed and one double bed in the main room where there is also a kitchen and eating table.  The view is fabulous and the best part of the unit.
Nuri showed me around and asked if I needed anything.  I asked if there was a map and he went to a drawer and took out a map that was in Hebrew.  Useless for me.
He said he would drive me to the information center which was a very nice offer.  However, when we got to his car it wouldn’t start.  He called his mechanic who said he’d come in 45 minutes.  He was trying so hard that he suggested I go to the super market and come back and would take me after the mechanic showed up. I didn’t wait and it turned out the car couldn’t be fixed until the next day.
I decided to go for a walk and get a lay of the land.  The apartment is in a great location in the Carmel, not really Haifa.  Carmel is on top of Haifa and all streets are rather steep.  I walked 3-4 blocks, uphill, to the “Carmel Center”.  I ventured up and found a few stores and the main grocery store.  I saw a Dan hotel (the major chain of hotels in Israel) and thought they might have a map of the city.  
The girls at the desk were very helpful and gave me a map in English.  I asked where a good place to eat was and they said just at the corner, Ha Bank.  I was quite hungry.  So that’s where I went.  Have I mentioned the portion sizes here, very large.  I ordered a sandwich and I got four quarters and a large salad.  I ate two pieces and took the other two for later.
I had really wanted to see a movie and had asked Nuri where there was a movie theater.  He said most of them had moved out of the city but there was one called Cinematique not far from here.
After I ate I went in search of the Cinematique.  It wasn’t too far away and when I got there the movie they were showing was “Victor, Victoria”, a tad old but my yearning and I wasn’t in the mood for that.  I asked the guy if there was another theater and he said yes about a 15-20 minute walk down the same street.  I continued walking and walking and saw lots of boutique shops, restaurants  along the street but no movie theater.  I checked my watch and I had been walking for over half an hour.  Oh well.  It was after 7:00 p.m. so I decided to turn around.  When it’s dark it’s harder to get a feel for where you are when you don’t know where you are.
On my walk back I stopped at a bakery that had incredible items.  They had many samples and the one I liked the best was a poppy seed cake.  Unfortunately I didn’t want to buy the long loaf which was the only size they had.  So I bought a box of cookies instead.
By the time I got back to the apartment it was around 8 and I just settled in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment