Monday, January 10, 2011

Day Fourteen--Thursday Jan. 6-- from Kibbutz Lotan to Ein Gedi Kibbutz



After breakfast I had some time before the bus and went for a walk around the kibbutz taking photos.  I was able to catch the goat milking but too late for the ruffet (where the cows are).  


boots at the ruffet

















Lotania





I found some very interesting sculptures along the way and also mud walls that had plastic bottles coming out of them.  I could see many mud structures in progress but there wasn’t anyone working at this time. 














When I went to check out, Merav admitted that since I had said something about not having food available when I was paying to stay, that they will add something to their website mentioning that the dining hall is closed on Wednesdays.--Really.




She was nice enough to take me to the road to wait for the bus that would take me to the Ein Gedi kibbutz.


I did not enhance the blue sky, it's incredible
I waiting on the only road that goes between Jerusalem and Eilat for the bus that was suppose to come by 10:35.  I was told it was important to have a reservation for the bus so that you would be assured a seat.  Well, this proved to be true.  When the bus stopped, close to 11:00, the bus was seemingly full all seats taken and people already sitting in the aisles.  However, the driver had a ticket for me with a seat number.  Three people needed to readjust their seats so I could have the one that was assigned to me.  Wow, I even got a window seat.  


where's Nancy?
The desert may seem bleak but there is a lot of beauty in the hills.  The colors especially in the early morning and late afternoon bring out the real mystery.  With the sun shining on the sandy colored hills, the sky seems bluer than blue.  When the sun is setting it showers reddish color on the hills making them look like a painting.

at the rest stop
The bus ride was rather uneventful but after a little over an hour, what was new to me, the bus stopped and the driver announced, 20 minute break.  We stopped at a place that had bathrooms and many eating choices, mostly “fast food”.  I saw a woman with an ice cream cone that looked so good that I went to order one.  Much to my disappointment it looked much better than it tasted.  Oh well, into the trash.  The next best thing, a chocolate bar.  Fortunately Israel has good chocolate and I was able to find a bittersweet bar.  





The remaining part of the ride was a little more than an hour when I saw Ein Gedi spa.  I had been told that there wasn’t a bus that went up to the kibbutz but that I should get off at the spa and there would be a shuttle up to the guest house.
I got off the bus at the spa and as luck would have it I asked a couple if they knew where the stop was for the shuttle.  
“No problem, we will take you there as we are going that way.” the man said.
“o.k.”
“we’re good people, you don’t need to worry.” he said
So I took him up on the offer.  The kibbutz guest house is up on the hill about 5-6 drive and I was glad for the ride.  This nice man and woman were from Tzfat and on vacation in Ein Gedi for the weekend.  When I thanked them for the ride he said it was a mitzvah.  Yes in deed.




Oh what a difference a day and a place make.  
This was a legitimate hotel/resort and the price shows it but definitely worth while.  All the food is included as well as spa admissions for all the days of your stay even the day you leave. 






I checked in and they told me “room 42”.  
It was only about 2:30 and there was a shuttle going to the spa at 3:00.  I got my bathing suit and headed for the spa.
The spa is built at the Dead Sea and includes warm sulpher spring baths, many body treatments and lots of mud.  Not to mention you can walk down to the “beach” and float.  I didn't have time to do this.




I chose to sit in the bath which felt fabulous.  Whatever aches and pains I had from dragging my “stuff” were quickly diminishing.
They suggest you only stay in the bath for 15 minutes so after my brief float here, I ventured outside to experience the mud.  
They have huge wooden boxes filled with mud that you pick up and slather all over your body.  Wait a few minutes for it to dry and then to the warm salt water showers to wash off.  Be careful if you have any cuts or scratches because the salt finds them all.  Fortunate for me the weather was good, not hot but not to cold.
I knew the last bus back was at 5:00 so I went back inside changed and went back to the hotel.
When I checked in they had asked me what time I wanted to eat dinner.  They have two seatings.  I chose 6:00.  I hadn’t walked around the kibbutz and didn’t know where the dining hall was and they offered a shuttle so I took it.  Later I discovered that it was just up the hill and walked back to my room.  When I arrived at the dining hall I was amazed.  Not only was the dining hall big, clean and modern, it had an overabundance of food.  A buffet to challenge club med.  One section for many different kinds of salads, a section for hot food a section for breads a section for creating your own salad and then the dessert section.  Wow, such a juxtaposition from Kibbutz Lotan.  Well I had a full belly tonight.


This kibbutz (i guess you would say resort) even had evening activities.  I took the botanical garden tour in English with two other Italian couples.  Our guide is an original member of the kibbutz and knew so much about all the plants and trees.  The botanical garden has received many awards for the various varieties of plants and trees because they come from all over the world and how well they are maintained.  He even told us what date some of the trees had been planted.  I'd never had a garden tour in the evening, this was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment