Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tuesday--January 18--Israel to Istanbul


Tuesday--January 18--Israel to Istanbul
from my hotel room
My 7:00 a.m. wake up call has arrived.  I take a shower and get dressed.  The suitcase closes with the backpack on the bottom.  I’m going to carry the electronics bag and Le Sport sac on the plane.  I went downstairs at 7:30, ate some breakfast and got a taxi at 7:50.  I had gone to the Turkish Airlines office yesterday to confirm my flight and the lady told me I needed to be at the airport by 8:30.  I wanted to be on time.  
what I saw driving to the airport

The taxi driver told me it would cost 140 shekels and that’s about all I had left.  Not too often that I leave a country without having to exchange currency.  

the Azrali Towers


I didn’t even have enough for a water at the airport but they took dollars.




in the car



Getting through security was a breeze.  That’s not a easy statement to make in Israel.  I could hardly believe it.  Within 1/2 hour of arriving at the airport I had gone through 
security and checked in.  I had two hours to wait.  
I was able to use my computer and get on the internet.  Free wireless.   The flight was 10:45 and they told me boarding would be at 10:20.  At 10:20, no announcement I look around and people are lining up to get on the plane.  I didn’t even see the plane and thought we would have to take a bus out the the tarmac.  I got up and walked to the line.  This was so strange, they never made an announcement to board the plane.
Oh well.  Bye bye Israel.  I sat next to an Israeli man who was going to Istanbul on business. The flight, which cost $300.00, was only 2 hours and they served a full lunch.  Imagine that.  They also had pillows, free of charge.  What has happened to America?
I arrived in Istanbul and got in the Passport control line.  When it was my turn the woman said, “you need a VISA, go over there.”
I had to pay $20.00 for a VISA and then get back in the Passport control line.  Welcome to Turkey.
I’d arranged for the hotel to pick me up from the airport.  I confirmed several times that they would pick me up.  However, no one was there.  I waited and waited.  
I saw a TurkCell, a cell phone company and thought I should get a SIM card.  I was getting nervous about not being picked up but I needed the SIM card too.  While I was waiting to get the SIM card an airport customer service man was in line as well and I asked him if he could help me call the hotel to see where the driver was.  He did and the hotel said I was early but someone was on their way.  It turned out they misread my flight information and were aiming to pick me up at 2:15 when actually I arrived at 1:05.  It all worked out and I had a very nice driver, Koray.  
The airport was about a 20 minute ride to the hotel.  Wow, the Bosphorus was much bigger than I had anticipated and there were so many container ships in the water.  Koray explained that the ships had to wait their turn to deliver their goods to the shore because the water was shallow. It was a glorious day and I was enjoying the sights.  Koray pointed out the old wall of the city and enjoyed using his English.  When I told him I was an English teacher for foreign students he said I could correct his English.  He spoke very well I thought.  Certainly better than my Turkish.
We arrived at the hotel and they offered me coffee or tea with some cake.  Then they took me to my room which was on the top floor.  Not much of a view as I was on the inner street side and saw only other buildings.  The room was fine, very clean but small.  They have managed to fit many things into a very small place.  

It was mid-afternoon so I thought I would explore a bit before the sun went down.  I took a shower and ventured out to Istikal Street which is the main street in the Taksim area of Istanbul.
Amazing.  I was overwhelmed with the sights and sounds of people everywhere, shops, restaurants, musicians, etc.  What a difference from Israel.  I just walked and took video and some photos it was so stimulating.  The street was alive.  







I walked for maybe 3/4 of an hour and realized I hadn’t paid close attention as the where I came out from my hotel onto Istikal Street.  It was starting to get dark so I turned around and figured I find my way.  I had the card of the hotel so I wasn’t too worried.
I walked back and was able to find the hotel no problem.  The hotel, 10 Suites, Taksim, has two entrances, one on a small alley like street and the other on the next big street over from Istikal.
I was hungry and asked where I should eat.  On the alley street there were so many restaurants and I didn’t know which to choose.  I asked at the hotel and Ferit told me that next door they had great fish.  True it was.  I had grilled sea bass and a salad for about $8.00.  So much cheaper than Israel.  Wow.
I came back to the hotel and was pretty tired.  I could feel a cold coming on and wanted to get lots of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment